Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Decorating for Baby


While waiting for baby to show up, I was able to get a few diy projects done that were low down on the list of things to do. Which help fulfill some of my "nesting" desires. 

The first project that I took on was making a crib skirt. This is a project that has been on my "to do list"  for while but I just was not able to find a pattern that I really like or that I thought would work with the crib we got. When thanks to pinterest I found one that was perfect from Make it & Love it.

Link to tutorial
The tutorial was pretty easy to follow but sadly because I'm not really good at sewing, I struggled to know how long I show make each piece to get all those lovely ruffles. And as you will see from the picture below I didn't quite get it right. 

As well I had a hard time figuring out how to add Velcro to the corners where the bows are, but overall I'm very pleased on how it all turned out. I'm really happy about the difference it makes to the crib and how well it hides our storage boxes. 

BEFORE
AFTER
  
The second project that I was able to complete was some simple wall art. The first ones I made I used a similar method I did when I made these spring blocks and the blocks I made for Valentine's Day. But instead of beautiful wooden blocks I used art canvases.

First I found a silhouette I liked (I wish I could draw then I wouldn't have to find images online), then I printed it out on card stock and cut it out to use as a stencil.


Traced it out on the canvases.



Then using glue and sparkles I filled in the silhouette.



I don't think a baby girl's room is done until it has a little sparkle. :)

On the final canvas I printed this from Sweet Rose Studio

Be Brave at Sweet Rose Studio
source 
I really like the message it gives (the song is nice too) as well I hope and pray that we can teach and show our little girl how to be brave and face life head on with courage.

The print was black and white, so I coloured it myself with pencil crayons

And then using mod podge I glued it to the canvas.

Then it was done.




I think it turned out beautifully simple with just a little bit of whimsy.

And the last little project I was able to get done was again inspired by pinterest.

From http://tinkerwiththis.blogspot.ca

I have already started to gather a few very pretty headbands for the baby and I'm sure once she gets here I with end up getting more. So I needed somewhere to keep them all.

This was a really simple project. First I got Mike to cut some medium-density fibreboard (MDF) for me.

Then I sanded the edges, painted it, painted the tops of clothes pins and then using some crafting glue glued the clothes pins on. I'm not sure if I used a strong enough glue. I guess time will tell.





Now everything I wanted to get done for baby's room is done. 
Now I just need a baby to put in the crib!

Hopefully she will get here soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment